Service Directory

Please note that we are still in the process of developing the online version of the Service Directory. As such information may not be complete or entirely accurate. If you would like to add your organisation or service to the directory, please complete the directory submission form


Category: Benefits and Finance

Item has file(s) Item has picture(s)


| Tel: (01325) 357 345

Age UK Darlington provides free, independent and confidential advice by appointment and can advise you on your entitlement to benefits and on a range of issues that affect the quality of life of older people. This advice service is available to those over the age of 50, as well as those who care for people in this age bracket. The Information and Advice service is contactable at 01325 357345.


Attendance Allowance


| Tel: 0800 88 22 00

Attendance Allowance is a non means tested, tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need help with personal care because they are physically or mentally disabled, and have had these needs for at least 6 months. If you have a progressive disease and you are not expected to live for more than another six months there are special rules for claiming to make sure you get your benefit more quickly and easily. 

You can get Attendance Allowance even if no one is actually giving you the care you need or you live alone. A claim form can be requested on the benefit enquiry line at 0800 88 22 00.


Carers Allowance


| Tel: 0845 608 4321

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person getting Attendance Allowance, or Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced) and are not in receipt of overlapping benefits, or earning more than £100. A claim form can be requested on the benefit enquiry line at 0845 608 4321


Council Tax Support

Homepage eMail

| Tel: (01325) 388 373

If you need financial help to pay your Council Tax bill, you may be able to get Council Tax Support. You may also get Second Adult Rebate if you share your home with another adult (not your partner or civil partner) who's unable to pay towards the Council Tax. Council Tax Benefit is means tested.

You normally need to have no more than £16,000 in savings unless you are on Guarantee Credit; in which case there is no savings limit and your council tax could be fully covered by the benefit. Application forms for this can be obtained via Darlington Borough Council.


Pension Credit


| Tel: 0800 991 234

Pension Credit is a means tested benefit that tops up your weekly income. There are two parts to Pension Credit – you may be eligible to receive one or both of them. Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed minimum level set by the government.

Savings Credit provides an additional sum as a reward for having made modest savings for your retirement. You need to be 61 or over for Guarantee Credit and 65 or over for Savings Credit. The Pension Credit application line can be contacted at 0800 99 12 34 .


Personal Independence Payment


| Tel: 0800 917 2222

Personal Independence Payment is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they are physically or mentally disabled.

You may be entitled to PIP if you are under 65 when you claim and your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or you have walking difficulties, or both. A claim form can be requested on the benefit enquiry line at 0800 917 2222.
Showing 6 out of 6 items
Choose page:

Sign-up to the Newsletter

Good Friends (TM) 2013

Registered Address:
Good Friends, Age UK Darlington, Beaumont House, Beaumont Street West, Darlington, DL1 5SX

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy